Sunday, January 3, 2010

Jitsu of the Plus-Sized Momma

I'll never forget my first encounter with Naruto. My husband was watching the Cartoon Network, and for those of you unfamiliar (as I was), Naruto is a young ninja, training to be a warrior. At least, that's what he is to the best of my understanding. He and all his high energy comrades-in-arms, leap about, whilst fighting formidable enemies with their "jitsus." I admit, I really don't get it, but the best my western mind can do with it, is "Go, go Gadget Lightning Eyes!" or "Go, go Gadget Super Fists."

Every time Naruto gains understanding and use of a new "jitsu," he becomes a more powerful warrior. So, with that in mind, it is time for the Jitsu of the Plus-Sized Momma. It's time for me to make my Week 4 Commitment.

First though, let me report. Here's this week's report card.
Jitsu of the Multi-vitamin: A plus
Jitsu of the Water: A-
Jitsu of the Weight Watcher: A plus, plus. Stayed on target daily, and still have 3 flex points left.

This week, I introduce to you the Jitsu of the Walker. Last Monday, I got started with my first laps up and down our street, which I did hint at in one of this week's blogs. I'll admit, I wanted to get a head start as exercise remains a key struggle for me. I tend to hold a grudge against it, as you've read. And when I expend all that energy against my will, and gain weight, I respond in a matter very similar to Naruto's. My eyes get unrealistically large and blood shot, and I get really ticked off. Sometimes, things get broken--though in my conscious recollection, I have not thrown about any animals or people.

Consequently, I decided to start quietly, and to try to attach the activity to something that was much more deeply important to me: prayer.

The results were good. I used the Jitsu of the walker five mornings this week and walked six miles total. This week, I'm shooting for two miles on 4 to 5 mornings. Somewhere in the recesses of my heart, I hope to seek something more ambitious--say, the Jitsu of the Runner--however, it is much, much to soon to entertain those hopes. First of all, I am not exactly at peak in the cardio department, and second, I'm not sure running about and heaving in great breaths of 15 to 25 degree air is a great idea. I can't get fit with pneumonia!

So, WEEK FOUR COMMITMENT: Walk four to five mornings this week, for a total of 8 to 10 miles by Saturday night. Continue taking a daily multi-vitamin, drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water daily, and following the WW guidelines.

Wow. This Jitsu stuff is pretty cool after-all. What should I try next? I might become a powerful ninja afterall. Jitsu of the Snotty-nosed toddler. Jitsu of the exploded toy box. Jitsu of the coffee deficient zombie. Jitsu of the spit-up. Jitsu of the drooly drone. Oh yes. Not to forget the most powerful jitsu of all. The jitsu of the poopy diaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment